Jun 28, 2014

Book Review: Dearest Clementine by Lex Martin

Title: Dearest Clementine
Series: Dearest, #1
Author: Lex Martin
Publication Date: May 25, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Twenty-year-old Clementine Avery doesn't mind being called bitchy and closed off. It's safe, and after being burned by her high school sweetheart and stalked by a professor her freshman year of college, safe sounds pretty damn good.

Her number one rule for survival? No dating. That is until she accidentally signs up for a romance writing class and needs material for her latest assignment. Sexy RA Gavin Murphy is more than happy to play the part of book boyfriend to help Clem find some inspiration, even if that means making out...in the name of research, of course.

As Gavin and Clem grow closer, they get entangled in the mystery surrounding a missing Boston University student, and Clem unwittingly becomes a possible target. Gavin tries to show Clem she can handle falling in love again, but she knows she has to be careful because her heart’s at stake…and maybe even her life.

My Thoughts


One word for this books: adorable. It's many things other than adorable actually, but the whole time Gavin and Clementine are together, I can't help but feel mush all over even though romance wasn't over the top, which is good. There's humor and drama but it still comes in full circle on the word, adorable. Clementine and her friends were fun to read and you can't help but want to have friends like hers.

I like Clementine's character and her passion for writing. I love whenever she talks about it and when she also talks about her book and how she's one successful young author under another name. Though she's keeping that one a secret. With all the writing, book stuff and other things going on her life, she doesn't want to get involved with someone. Until Gavin stepped in and just in time that she needs an inspiration. They're fun together and they're both smart. But when their relationship turned into a different route, I can't help but feel sad for Clementine. I wanted to get angry at Gavin, but when he explained, everything made sense. I love them and I love that they share their laughs, it's beautiful to read.

Dearest Clementine brought me warm fuzzy feelings because of friendship and the sibling relationship between Jax and Clementine. It also brought a big smile on my face every time there's a Gavin-Clementine moment going on, and I can't stop it. I like the fact that I was unable to predict what was going to happen next and how things slowly unwraps. Great read and I'm all too happy with the satisfying ending.

And yay to the FRIENDS reference, the mention of Ross and Rachel's "we were on a break" phase was hilarious.


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment