Oct 19, 2013

Book Review: The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

Title: The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publication Date: September 07, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Thoughts:

I absolutely am in love with this book. The story's events felt so real and I think, so far, this is the only book where I feel bad for every character because they happen to have their own stories to share and flaws that made you feel like you can actually connect with them and care about them. This book was so hard to put down that I have no idea how I managed to finish this in three hours or probably less.

Bianca  was a character I could honestly relate because of her self-consciousness after being called a DUFF and her relationship with her family and to keeping secrets from her friends. She wasn't the annoying kind in my opinion even though she's afraid to open up to her friends and she kept on denying her feelings for Wesley because she wasn't sure what she really feels. Her behavior wasn't irritating, it wasn't frustrating, rather it was actually understanding because I felt like every one has their moments like Bianca. Wesley, on the other hand whom I thought was going to be a difficult character to like because of his reputation, ended up on my favorite fictional swoon-worthy male characters. His verbal banter with Bianca was so amusing to read and when he apologized to her, oh gosh, that really did it for me and he showed off how sweet and sincere he was towards her. There are moments when you need a Wesley Rush in life.

Bianca's friends and family, I ended up loving them as well because they're the kind of people who wouldn't leave you despite everything. Even if her parents are having their issue, they still managed to be there for her as individuals. But Bianca's connection with her dad was the one that had me all in tears (and the moment where Wesley apologized after Bianca told him about what she felt with all the DUFF-calling also had me in tears) especially after what he did and said to Bianca, which was something unexpected.

I highly recommend this book (if you haven't read it yet) and I feel so grateful to a friend of mine for telling me how good this book is and when I finally had the chance to read it, it was so much better. A new-found contemporary love that really speaks to me.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment