Oct 22, 2013

Book Review: Black City

Title: Black City
Series: Black City, #1
Author: Elizabeth Richards
Publication Date: November 13, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dystopia
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-old Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

My Thoughts:

Fast-paced yet I enjoyed it nonetheless. Black City is set in a kind of futuristic world with humans and Darklings living together. Darklings are these creatures that are some kind of vampires although there are a lot of differences because unlike vamps, they don't melt under the sun and some of them aren't dead. The characters were pretty dark but not entirely dark where you had to read and understand them thoroughly. Just the kind of dark wherein you could say that this character holds a sad past or carrying a deep secret nobody should know. Or maybe this character is up to something and it will surprise the reader further into the story.

I've disliked a lot of characters in this book because they're plain too evil and to think that they're just walking here and there along with the good ones really irk me up. Natalie was a likable character although at first my feelings were conflicted towards her but later on, she stood up to her mom and that was something. Ash was kind of a mysterious and seemed to be the darker kind of character but he grew on me. He's not like those other sexy and gorgeous male leads that seemed to be perfect. He's got his weak moments, and I think it was a lot of weak moments but later on, like Natalie, he managed to show that he's someone who is capable of doing bigger things. I like them both as individuals but when I take the route to their relationship, that's where I get frustrated. Their love story was fast and filled with angst especially when Ash's destined-to-be-someone kept on persisting him to be with her which was simply annoying because the girl tries too hard. I think their relationship lacked the essence of 'talking'. They had these rough times yet the assumptions tend to be higher which lead them into arguments and separation. Which is again, frustrating because one moment they get separated because one said so, the next they're together again. They honestly need to patch things up.

 I've ditched reading this book twice already and a few days ago, I finally picked it up. The plot was kind of engaging but I'm confused most of the time because there were many groups and places to remember but it turned out to be okay. It's just that most of the time, the bad guys win. Something I find disappointing. But still, this had me thrilled with the fighting scenes and Natalie and Ash's relationship may be frustrating, it was still sweet to read. I'm still going to read the next book because I felt like a lot needs to be answered and I look forward to it in the next.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment