Sep 29, 2013

Super Six Sunday: Books that made me cry

Super Six Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by the awesome people @ Bewitched Bookworms. For this Sunday, 29th of September, it's all about books that made you cry. Actually me..and you. Well us. And here are the books that made me shed some tears (not in order).


01. Wait For You by J. Lynn (a.k.a. Jennifer L. Armentrout)

I was in tears during the few remaining chapters of this New Adult book because it was just moving and the romance was beautiful. I mean the characters weren't that perfect. Avery, the female lead, had this very complicated life and relationship with her parents and the more I got to know her character, the more I just want to cocoon her in my arms. 

Favorite Quote: I drew his mouth to mine and kissed him softly. "Thank you."
His lips curved up on one side. "For what?"
"For waiting for me."
 




02. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Now don't get me started on this book because I'm all tears and pain while reading the FINAL book of The Infernal Devices Trilogy no more Will Herondale for me help and I'm still sad. Will and Jem's friendship was heart-moving yet heart-wrenching. People would think I'm so enamored by the romance in this book but to be honest, I'm not. Their friendship overpowers the romance in this book and that's saying something. And everything I edited recently is about Heronstairs pain.

Favorite Quotes: "I always loved you, Will, whatever you did. And now I need you to do for me what I cannot do for myself. For you to be my eyes when I do not have them. For you to be my hands when I cannot use my own. For you to be my heart when mine is done with beating." - Jem Carstairs

"All my life, since I came to the Institute, you were the mirror of my soul. I saw the good in me in you. In your eyes alone I found grace. When you are gone from me, who will see me like that?" - Will Herondale


(..and so much more and I'm still mourning)


03. If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman

My first contemporary. The first contemporary that made me cry. Although I cried harder in Where She Went the moment Mia told Adam her reasons. These two books hold a special place in my heart. Honestly.

Favorite Quote: “But I'd do it again. I know that now. I'd make that promise a thousand times over and lose her a thousand times over to have heard her play last night or to see her in the morning sunlight. Or even without that. Just to know that she's somewhere out there. Alive.”

.(this book, Where She Went, was full of wonderful quotes though I just picked one.)


04. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I never thought I'd end up loving this book. It wasn't exactly the genre I would pick and read. I've heard good things about it but it wasn't until a friend of mine asked me to read it so I did. And oh dear, my emotions are everywhere. It was so good even though I was a bit confused at the beginning but I paved my way through it and it just blew me away.

Favorite Quote: "Even death has a heart."

(This book has a ton of wonderful quotes that sometimes, the quotes hold a ton of meaning and it applies to life. It's deep.)



05. Angelfall by Susan Ee

Now this was also unexpected. Despite the disturbing scenes in this book, it still moved me and of course, had me in tears. It was the relationship between Penryn (female lead) and Paige (her little sister who was kidnapped by an angel) that made the story moving. The moment she found her sister was just heartbreaking. And chapter 45 was what really released the waterworks I've been holding out.

I don't have a favorite quote in relation to the said reason why this book made me cry. There actually wasn't. It was just narration yet the way she narrated how her sister looked, how she helped her and how people stare and treated her (or them) was enough to twist my heart.


06. The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

A recent read this week and nothing could change my mind on what I feel for this book. When Brie died and watched her loved ones went on without her, it was such a ride of mixed emotions that even I felt what she felt. And poor Jacob :(  (had to use an emoticon to show what I feel right now).

No favorite quote for this one too. Though I'm sure there was some nice ones in this book. I was too focused on the story and on what's going to happen next. This one makes you want to live life while you can and value it while you're still breathing.


There ends the six books that released the waterworks. Although there were more but let's just talk about these. So, what books made you lovelies cry?

3 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful blog here!! Thank you so much for joining :)

    You have a fantastic list here! I Love that you included some quotes!

    I totally forgot about "The Catastrophic..." It was such a heartbreaking story and also made me cry up so much! Of course, the beautiful relationship between Will and Jem was so moving and intense that I barely find another so close relationship in YA literature.

    I didn't expect Angelfall in your list! I always wanted to read this book and now you gave me yet another reason to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And you're very much welcome. Love your blog!!

      Oh Angelfall is pretty good. Though not if you're uncomfortable with too much blood and other gore stuff but honestly, it was a good read. And the heroine kicks ass! Glad I gave you another reason! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. I adore that cover for The Catastrophic History! Love the premise of that so I'll have to give it a read soon.

    Great list you've got here - and I hear you about If I Stay / Where She Went! Like you, I kind of preferred the second book and it had a much bigger impact on me. I think maybe it's because we got to see how the whole thing affected Adam too.

    Here's my Super Six :)

    - Allie @ Little Birdie Books

    ReplyDelete