Sep 27, 2013

Book Review: The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Title: The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Author: Jess Rothenberg
Publication Date: February 21, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?

My Thoughts:

A wonderful story that depicts life with love, sadness, betrayal, tragedy and hope. This one makes you value life and the people around you. It makes you think that holding out a grudge and driving yourself will not only cause people misery, but to you as well. Some parts of the book might be a bit hard to grasp or quite unbelievable when you're dealing with a broken heart and death but when you think about it, some of them can be possible. Brie's journey had me in a way where I had to treasure every moment in my life because we never know when we'll stop breathing and before we stop, we might left things that will ruin the future of those people around us. The romance was also a lovely addition to the story and I'm glad that it was filled with humor because hey, we could use something to ease all the agony while flipping the pages. 

Catastrophic History made me laugh and cry and even though I'm not a huge fan of reading something tragic, I did not regret picking this one up and I'm glad that I finally decided to read it today. I love how every chapter's title is a song title and how it actually fits every chapter. Miss Rothenberg got some good taste in music and I am definitely looking forward to read more of her books in the future. This debut work of hers already had my heartstrings plucked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment