Sep 26, 2013

Book Review: White Cat by Holly Black

Title: White Cat
Series: Curse Workers, #1
Author: Holly Black
Publication Date: May 04, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.  
Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.


My Thoughts:

My first Holly Black book and it didn't disappoint! The story made it hard for me to put the book down and it's a rare thing to read a Young Adult book with a male's perspective. Or maybe I just missed some books, I don't know. I ended up enjoying and loving White Cat to the point that I actually marathon the series. The fact that this involved a cat added bonus points to my liking. Cassel had me confused with my feelings for him. One moment I want to shake him and yell, "Wake up!" then the next I want to hug him and tell him that it's not his fault. In the end, it had come to my conclusion that I like him. For the other characters, especially his brothers, I have so many mixed emotions. Lila, on the other hand, I like her from the start. She's one of a kind.

I've read the three books already but I'm only making a review for the first one. Black Heart, last book, was my favorite and the ending was a wonderful thing for a closure. Although some parts were rushed in the series, there's still this gut feeling that made you want to forget that minor detail and the bigger part of you just happens to enjoy despite the flaws.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment