Jul 31, 2013

Book Review: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Title: Rules of Attraction
Series: Perfect Chemistry, #2
Author: Simone Elkeles
Publication Date: April 27, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado. Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

My Thoughts:

First off, I gotta say that I am in love the cover. I find it creative and cute. Plus it gives me the romantic vibes for a chick-lit. It grabbed my attention first when I saw the three books together. And I haven’t even read the blurb or any review regarding it when I was too enamored looking at the cover. I also like how it’s relevant to the story. 
I couldn’t say that this book was better than the first but I happen to like a lot of things in this. It took me a long time to like Carlos because of his cocky attitude. He’s packed with an over-sized ego which if you compare him to Alex in the first book, he’d be going home with the Largest Ego Award (LEA). He’ll be going home with LEA. Okay I know. Corn, too much corn.
Carlos plus his ego equals massive frustration. Oh and it’s either the ego eating him up or his stubbornness. He has such a bad boy image but I’m pretty glad things work out with him well from time to time. And I had to give a ton of credit to Kiara and her family. I love her family. They’re loving and Brandon, that little kid is adorable. I want to give Kiara a hug for a confidence boost. She’s perfect for him. A challenge is what Carlos needs, and he’s got Kiara for that. 
And Alex gets an appearance too! Same goes for Brit although the environment’s different because they’re living in another place. But I see no problem in it, aside from the fact that some students really feel like they’re higher than the other. 
I had fun reading and I love some moments in this book:
  • The dough fight
  • Homecoming
  • Brandon and Carlos bonding
  • That moment in the book’s cover (because it was such a wonderful moment)
Lastly, I still hate Brittany’s parents.


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment