Jul 27, 2013

Book Review: Pivot Point

Title: Pivot Point
Series: Pivot Point, #1
Author: Kasie West
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?" As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with–her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms," or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school–but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through…and who she can’t live without.

My Thoughts

I was excited to start this book. The blurb seemed promising when I read it and this was also a recommendation from a friend in Goodreads. 
This book is told by Addison Coleman’s, the main protagonist and probably the girl on the cover, point of view and she’s a Searcher. Someone with a special ability that can see the future and people with special abilities live in some paranormal compound. There’s also a place for the normal people, like mundane ones. They’re often referred as “Norms". She’s also torn between a choice of staying either with her mother or her father after they decided on getting a divorce.
I have never read something like this before and it’s quite confusing at the start because of the Search she’s making. It’s two paths so every chapter is a different scenario. It’s like, this chapter is the path where she chose to be with her mom and the next chapter, her dad. Then back to her mom. 
Addie’s a smart girl and from reading the book, you could see the different sides of her in between the paths and how she grows as a character. I like her dad and I have missed feelings for her mom but somehow she’s still a mother and she cares for her daughter. I had to get a better grip on her best friend’s, personality though. In one of the two paths, she’s kind of pushy or someone trying too hard to prove a point to a person who doesn’t really feel comfortable with the situation. It bothered me when all she kept telling Addie of how hot Duke was. Not saying she’s a bad friend but she should really consider that Addie’s parents just got divorced, her best friend doesn’t like the guy, she needs a break. But I also want to roll my eyes at Addie, she doesn’t like him but she keeps thinking about him. Typical. But I like Trevor. He’s a sweetheart and I like him.
The turn of events weren’t surprising for me but a certain tragedy kind of did. The idea for this story is cool. I gotta say cool because it really is to me. I enjoyed the story and the change of scene in every chapter and even though I had those minor issues, I still got the hang of it.


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment