Aug 12, 2013

Book Review: Pushing the Limits

Title: Pushing the Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Publication Date: July 31, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Thoughts

I had to give this book two thumps up for having me release the waterworks.
“If you’re scared, tell me. If you need to cry and scream, then do it. And you sure as hell don’t walk away from us because you think it would be better for me. Here’s the reality, Echo: I want to be by your side. If you want to go to the mall stark naked so you can show the world your scars, then let me hold your hand. If you want to see your mom, then tell me that, too. I may not always understand, but damn, baby, I’ll try.”
I love Noah and Echo as individuals. Throughout the book, they've been through so much and trapped by the past but they somehow managed their way through it. I'm also happy that Echo's best friend, Lila, was there for her and very accepting. I thought she was like Grace who'd value reputation more. 

I would have given this 5 stars if I wasn't uncomfortable with the divorce and I'm not really sure what to feel for Echo's parents. Echo's dad did love her and was there for her and even though she already forgave him or told him it wasn't his fault, I still didn't find it nice to leave your daughter in second when she tried to call you because she needed you but instead you're with another woman, considering she's still a girlfriend. Wow. At least he was sorry.. And her mom, she was sweet to tell stories and paint with Echo but she's one heck of a psycho. If only her brother was alive but that was impossible. Those were the things that didn't really pull me through this book and I'm glad Echo made the decision to stay away from that house. 


Broken families, parents divorced and the other's dead, daddy's having another family.. I feel like I've read my family's life through this book aside from the death and the madness and the scenes had me crying. But I still like the story and I'm satisfied of how everything ended well.



My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment