Aug 16, 2013

Book Review: Invisibility by David Levithan & Andrea Cremer

Title: Invisibility
Authors: Andrea Cremer & David Levithan
Publication Date: May 07, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal

Stephen has been invisible for practically his whole life — because of a curse his grandfather, a powerful cursecaster, bestowed on Stephen’s mother before Stephen was born. So when Elizabeth moves to Stephen’s NYC apartment building from Minnesota, no one is more surprised than he is that she can see him. A budding romance ensues, and when Stephen confides in Elizabeth about his predicament, the two of them decide to dive headfirst into the secret world of cursecasters and spellseekers to figure out a way to break the curse. But things don’t go as planned, especially when Stephen’s grandfather arrives in town, taking his anger out on everyone he sees. In the end, Elizabeth and Stephen must decide how big of a sacrifice they’re willing to make for Stephen to become visible — because the answer could mean the difference between life and death. At least for Elizabeth.

My Thoughts

I honestly was excited to start this book and at the very first few chapters, it managed to catch my interest. But later on, it was already kind of dragging. I haven't read any work from Andrea Cremer so this is my first from her but I've read and liked Every Day by David Levithan and also Will Grayson, Will Grayson in collaboration with John Green so I was looking forward to reading this. 

I like the invisibility concept (not to mention the cover of the book as well) and this is one of the few books I've read where I have this need to feel so bad for the male character. This need to hug him and comfort him. Being invisible is never cool and Stephen probably knows that since he's lived sixteen years being invisible. 


The things that put me off was, first: the relationship between Elizabeth and Stephen. It was cute in the beginning but the moment she knew his curse, his big secret, it became distant. Somewhat distant but they're working on it and glad that they're fighting for it. But it was...bland. I don't know, I feel like she shuts him out every time he wants to help. Of course, he's in the picture too so I think he's in the need to do something.


Then the revelations part. I'm satisfied with Elizabeth screaming when she found out that Stephen's invisible. That would create a normal reaction knowing you're the only one who can see your boyfriend. But the moment she found out about her abilities, no reaction much? Okay so maybe that's because she can feel something about her is...something. Still, I was hoping for a reaction. And until the last part of the book, her ability to see Stephen leaves a question mark. Like there's no hint? Or did I just miss it?


This was okay. Okay-Read. I like the relationship of Elizabeth and her brother, also their mom. Stephen's father is a question mark too, I would have loved his mom. Why is his grandfather strong in a fight if he's really...old. I don't quite understand Millie. 


There are tons of things I've been meaning for the book to explain further. Most of the book took up on Elizabeth's POV where she's learning magic and Stephen's POV where he's trying to figure out about his curse. To me, it lacks the grip of excitement in action scenes. And it lacks conversation. CONVERSATIONS. I'm not thoroughly fond of the "more narration, less conversation" stuff. That's all. 



My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely not what I was expecting at all. However, it turned out to be a great book.

    ReplyDelete