Aug 19, 2013

Book Review: My Life Next Door

Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publication Date: June 14, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything. 
As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself? 
A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.

This book was adorable but it could have been better in my opinion. I love the Garrett family especially little George. Little kid got the smarts, I'm pretty jealous. Samantha's mother really gets on my nerves. Same goes for her boyfriend. Even after reading the book, I still don't like her. Even Samantha at times...


One certain incident really made me want to shake some sense in her. Valuing your mother's political reputation over someone's life? Who's in a fatal condition? How sick can that be? It's such an easy choice but NO. And if I were Sam, I would have punched or slapped her mom's boyfriend. This character lacks confidence to me. She also lacks the will to stand up for herself. 


Her best friend, Nan, too. I liked her in the beginning but after getting caught cheating she puts the blame on how her life's unfair to Sam? And she labels herself "best friend"? I didn't even think I'd like Tim, Nan's brother, he was such a wreck but wow..he grew on me and I like him more than Sam. Even though he's cussing a lot but I'd give this guy credit for wanting to do what's right. And no reconciliation between Sam and Nan? Not cool.


I still add this to my favorites. It makes you see the pros and cons of life and family. I teared up when the Garrett family went into a downfall. And Jase is sweet and a wonderful brother. The little Garretts bring out the fun in this book. It makes it worthwhile to read when they're in the picture. Exact reason why I kept on reading. The romance is pretty cute too and I'm happy with the ending :)




My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment