Jul 15, 2013

Book Review: Cinder

Title: Cinder
Series: Lunar Chronicles, #1
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication Date: January 03, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Retelling
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

My Thoughts

Wow. I had a lot of jaw-dropping moments when I read this book. I got intrigued by this after watching vlog reviews and I’ve read some good feedback from my friends here. The cover’s really pretty and I love the font so I didn’t hesitate to grab a copy from the bookstore and purchase it. Eager to read what’s it about and finish with hopes of having a happy read.
This has been pretty notable and it didn’t disappoint. Cyborg heroine, androids, a great twist of a renown fairy tale with an alien-like villain in a very sci-fi community. The ending left me in an anxious state for what’s gonna happen next.
I love Cinder, the cyborg mechanic and protagonist of the story. I find her determined and actually adorable once she started having feelings for Prince Kai. There’s also quite a bit angst and sadness in this considering it’s a forbidden attraction. I also loathe her stepmother and older stepsister while I love the young stepsister. Some characters are likable, like Iko and Dr. Erland, even Prince Kai. Though I don’t know much about that doctor yet but I’m glad he’s willing to help Cinder. There are heart-tugging scenes too especially during those disease moments with Cinder and Peony. It broke my heart. Some parts I had my guesses and some of them were right but some weren’t. Still, even with my right guesses, the scenarios still had me in surprise. Especially the Princess Selene issue. I definitely want to read more!
I like a book that makes me sad and happy and this one did it. Can’t wait to read Scarlet soon!


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment