Jun 20, 2013

Book Review: The Iron King

Title: The Iron King
Series: The Iron Fey, #1
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publication Date: February 01, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

My Thoughts:

Fifteen year-old Meghan Chase, started seeing unusual things ever since her four year-old stepbrother Ethan asked her to accompany him to his room because he was scared. On her sixteenth birthday, a shocking scene welcomed her home after a very embarrassing event in school. Her mother, lying on the floor with blood on her face, and Ethan who was watching the scene with a smile on her face. Apparently, it wasn’t her little brother. Before things could get worse, her best friend Robbie came to her rescue, who also happens to carry a secret with him that he’s finally revealing to her. Meghan and Robbie ventured off to Nevernever, a secret and enchanted place, in search for the real Ethan and bring him home. They face faeries, goblins, pixies, satyrs and other mythical creatures, even a talking cat named Grimalkin, along their way and Meghan found a rather bigger secret that would change her life. Add in Prince Ash, who seemed to have a wall of ice around him.
So far, I actually like it. Though I got a few rants at the start of the story. Most of it concerns Meghan since she’s this kind of girl who is just naive when it comes to love. Like during her tutoring with Scott. I so wished she should have just listen to Robbie/Puck that time but NO, she didn’t and continued to go with her long-time football player crush. And then, REGRETS and EMBARRASSMENT and the “I TOLD YOU SO" that didn’t seem to be necessarily said. A typical cliche type of moment. But I can’t blame her since she got all giddy because finally her crush ‘might’ notice her.

Their time in Nevernever too during the morning after she woke up and ran away because she saw ‘Ethan’ who wasn’t even Ethan and she was even unarmed. I feel like dragging her back because GIRL YOU’RE IN SOME PLACE WHICH HAPPENS TO HAVE CREATURES THAT MIGHT EAT YOU IN A HEARTBEAT. And thankfully, her best friend was there to save her before something really bad happens to her.
I wanna shake some sense in her, smack her and she absolutely makes me want to pull my hair out and scream, “WILL YOU JUST PLEASE LISTEN FOR A BIT AND QUIT BEING STUBBORN?". But throughout the book, she grew on me and after that I want to hug her and assure her that things will be okay and Ethan will go back home safely. I still want to read more character development for her.
I enjoyed the book, well honestly I enjoyed Grim a lot even if he’s bored most of the time but the cat’s smart, has more sense and helps (even if there’s some exchange). Puck, sometimes his sarcasm irritates me but he grew on me too and how he’ll do anything to protect Meg. I like his loyalty and his some of his smartass replies. Ash, quiet that has danger oozing from him. That’s what I sense about Ash. I still need to finish the next book to get to know this character even more if that’s possible. And there are tons, I mean tons, of characters in this book that I don’t like judging by their personality and because they’re this creature or because they’re in this position.
Just because I gave this 5 stars doesn’t mean that I find this book perfect. I would have given this three stars if not for Grim. I really like the cat so 1 star. And that scene between Ethan and Meghan during the morning of her birthday. It made my heart flip and how precious this four-year old is and his relationship with Meg, which also adds another star.


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment