May 26, 2013

Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publication Date: December 02, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all…including a serious girlfriend.But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

My Thoughts

This book had me grinning from ear to ear because of the sweetness and it’s set in Paris. A place I’ve been dreaming of going to for a long time now. Hopefully someday. I’m a hopeless romantic and I enjoy romantic contemporary stories like these.
Anna Oliphant, main character and narrator, was transferred to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year in high school. Leaving her family and friends and a coworker slash crush in Atlanta, Georgia. New atmosphere, new people, new friends. And there she met Étienne St. Clair (along with Mer, Josh, Rashmi and other students in SOAP), gorgeous and smart and a gentleman, who she’s having mixed feelings for and eventually became her best friend.

Reading this was truly worth my time and I mentally asked myself what took me long in picking this up. I’ve read good reviews of this, my friends got this book in their bookshelves, the book itself want me to pick it up from the bookstore’s bookshelf. And eventually, I gave in and it truly didn’t disappoint.
It’s not perfect, it’s also not not perfect. But the engaging friendship and romance had me eager to flip the pages and anxious enough for what’s gonna happen next. There were times that I want to slap St. Clair (I’ve decided to call him that) during some certain scenes (in which I won’t tell because I don’t want to spoil). But most of the time, I just want to hug this guy and I feel bad whenever he cries or about to cry (I have a soft spot for boys who cry). As for Anna, I feel her. I’ve been in the same situation she was in and I couldn’t blame her. Loving someone who’s already taken, the betrayal, father issues. Of course, there’s also the infamous unrequited love that makes you feel sorry for the person whose love isn’t returned..though there are times that I wanna shake her and snap her thoughts and actions out of things.
Overall, I’ve been sighing happily almost every 5 minutes and I had to hide my smile when I remember a romantic scene in the book. I certainly recommend this (esp to the people who love to read novels with romance in genre). You’ll enjoy the late night walks in Paris and the theater adventures. You might enjoy the drama too, because I certainly did.


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment