Apr 30, 2016

Book Review: Shameless


Title: Shameless
Author: Lex Martin
Publication Date: April 26, 2016
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon

Brady…

What the hell do I know about raising a baby? Nothing. Not a goddamn thing.

Yet here I am, the sole guardian of my niece. I’d be lost if it weren’t for Katherine, the beautiful girl who seems to have all the answers. Katherine, who’s slowly finding her way into my cynical heart.

I keep reminding myself that I can’t fall for someone when we don’t have a future. But telling myself this lie and believing it are two different things.

Katherine…

When Brady shows up on a Harley, looking like an avenging angel—six feet, three inches of chiseled muscle, eyes the color of wild sage, and sun-kissed skin emblazoned with tattoos—I’m not sure if I should fall at his feet or run like hell. Because if I tell him what happened the night his family died, he might hate me.

What I don’t count on are the nights we spend together trying to forget the heartache that brought us here. I promise him it won’t mean anything, that I won’t fall in love.

I shouldn’t make promises I can’t keep.

MY THOUGHTS

Lex Martin made me so happy with this one. Before Shameless, I read two books that made me emotionally exhausted (in a good way) so I needed something that could stop my book hangover and pick up my mood: Shameless did just that. Although this was also an emotional roller-coaster, but it was definitely what I needed at the moment and I'm so glad I picked it up. This book had enough fluff and sweetness to make me swoon. It also had enough hotness to make me melt. Props also for the humor.

I roll my eyes. "I know I look young but I'm not that young." I already told him my age.

"No, twenty-three is old enough."

"Old enough for what?" I ask innocently as I stare up at him. Old enough for you?

He clears his throat. "Old enough to vote."

Brady just received a shocking news that caused him to pack his bags and stay in Texas. There, he was met with a realization that made him wish things were different and if only he could've have been a little more understanding and open. Taking care of a baby was never on his list of expectations. And he has no idea where to start. Even though he's clueless of what to do, Katherine was there to help.

Brady and Katherine make a really good tag-team. Brady's patient and a good listener everytime Katherine explains something to him and I love it whenever Kat inserts a little bit of Spanish here and there... or when she's pissed so she goes on full rambling/cursing. I love their chemistry, it's one of the things I enjoyed reading. And they're not only raising a little girl, they also got crops and animals to take care of plus some things in the house needed fixing. I want to take about the animals though. There are A LOT. For someone who loves animals, I want to live in this farm and adopt them all. I suddenly want a raccoon (Brady and Bandit are so cute... and hilarious).

I feel like I flew through this book--which means the story was good that I didn't have the heart to put it down. Kat and Brady's relationship isn't also insta-love. It had a good build-up and it was one of the book relationships I had a good time reading because of its adorableness, sweetness, hilarity and hotness (the sexual tension was just *fans self*) and the two had this understanding and respect where they don't push the other when one doesn't want to open up just yet. And when it comes to family relationships, I'm glad there's no "evil one" here because lately, I wanted to read something with a good family dynamic. There were some issues, yes, but they don't take away the meaning of "family". They're a good bunch to be around.

I already plan on rereading this. Can't get enough of Kat and Brady, and little Isabella just pulls your heartstrings with her cuteness.

MY RATING

2 comments:

  1. Ah I've been seeing a lot of buzz around this book recently...well since the cover was revealed. I haven't read any of Lex Martin's other work, but I'm really tempted to pick this book up soon. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much of Lex Martin's. This is only the second book of hers that I read, the first one being Dearest Clementine which I recommend along with this one.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete