Apr 6, 2016

Book Review: November 9


Title: November 9
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Date: November 10, 2015
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon

Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist.

MY THOUGHTS

Colleen Hoover did another great job in surprising me with a twist and making me go through an emotional whirlwind. I still feel the aftermath of Maybe Someday, the last book of hers that I read, and I was both excited and scared to read this one. Excited because the plot sounded good, scared because Colleen Hoover knows how to deliver a great amount of angst in her books.

“What’s it called?” she asks.

“What’s what called?”

“Our book. What’s the title going to be?”

“November Nine.”

Fallon and Ben are the kind of characters you want to get to know deeper. It’s like peeling an onion and going through its layers. I hope that’s not a bad metaphor because it’s quite fitting for some reason. They got their own family issues, aspirations in life, insecurities and secrets. Their agreement to meet on every 9th of November without contact made the book and title interesting. But November 9 wasn’t just a date, it was more than that. It held a big part of both Ben and Fallon’s lives.

The book’s summary about the ultimate plot twist wasn’t lying though. For me, it was a dark kind of twist and other readers will probably put this book down and not continue it but it didn’t work on me. It got more intriguing that I had to continue. That was the reason why I grabbed on to the pages until the ending. I had a WHAT?! reaction, no kidding. Props so much to the author for tugging my emotions and for surprising me the most. When you thought things are going smooth but then it’s like, “Nah, not yet”. For that and for the engaging story, thank you to the author for another swoon-worthy yet heartbreaking book.

MY RATING

0 comments:

Post a Comment