Apr 23, 2016

Book Review: A Magic Dark and Bright


Title: A Magic Dark and Bright
Series: The Asylum Saga, #1
Author: Jenny Adams Perinovic
Publication Date: April 28th, 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon

She meant to help a ghost...not unleash a curse.

Amelia Dupree hasn’t seen the Woman in White since the night her brother died.

The ghost seems to have disappeared from the woods surrounding Asylum, Pennsylvania—that is, until Charlie Blue moves into the creepy old MacAllister House next door. Amelia can’t help liking him, even though she spent her childhood thinking his grandmother was a witch. And she definitely can’t ignore the connection between his arrival and the Woman in White’s return.

Then Amelia learns that the Woman in White is a prisoner, trapped between the worlds of the living and the dead. Devastated by the idea that her brother could be suffering a similar fate, Amelia decides to do whatever it takes to help the Woman in White find peace--and Charlie agrees to help her.

But when Amelia’s classmates start to drown in the Susquehanna River, one right after another, rumors swirl as people begin to connect the timing of Charlie’s arrival with the unexplained deaths. As Charlie and Amelia uncover the dark history of Asylum, they realize they may have unleashed an unspeakable evil. One they have to stop before everything they love is destroyed.

MY THOUGHTS

I saw this on Goodreads and the summary sounded like the type of book I'd read so gave it a try. Now, this one didn't disappoint. I just started the book and I already got spooked. Really, Amelia looking out the window at three in the morning looking for some ghost is enough to creep me out.

A Magic Dark and Bright is engaging in a way that's enough for the reader to keep going because of the mysterious air it gives. I had no plans of putting this one down anyway because like I said, it's my kind of book and I love how this is actually connected to something historical and Jenny Adams Perinovic did a good job with it while adding some twists and turns. I wasn't familiar at all about the historical background so props to the author because I learned something and I might just do some research on it since I'm intrigued.

Despite the fun I had with this, I have a lot of questions that needed some answers. That ending made me want the next book as soon as possible because it just made me question stuff a whole lot more. Oh and the last few chapters were my favorite because things got exciting, scary and heartbreaking. Though at the same time, I was getting goosebumps at some scenes because they were somehow graphic--not very detailed but enough for the imagination to picture. I'm not easily bothered by blood which is by the way, a trigger warning for the readers who have this in their TBR or those who are curious about this but are uncomfortable with it. Nevertheless, I'm so glad I picked this up.

Really, I WANT THE NEXT BOOK ASAP. I hope my questions will be answered and I also hope Charlie and Emma sort their feelings out because... that hurts.

MY RATING

0 comments:

Post a Comment