Mar 14, 2014

Book Review: Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols

Title: Dirty Little Secret
Author: Jennifer Echols
Publication Date: July 06, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again.

My Thoughts

This was my first Jennifer Echols' book and I did have a bit of a high expectation for this, but sadly, it drained down. There were so many things that went wrong in the story and I absolutely found it hard to like it, even though I didn't lose my hope when the book was about to end. Hope that something will happen and change things but, no. Nothing did.

Plot

The music was a really good addition to the story and it's the only one that lightened my mood. I'm not a big country music fan but I very much enjoyed whenever the characters perform and get lost in the music. But the fighting and Bailey's family were such turn-offs that the story wasn't enjoyable anymore. I didn't like how Bailey was all "okay I'll be there" the moment her mom called that her sister can't go onstage and they need her there to reassure her. Like, what? They (her parents and sister) ignored Bailey, shut her out and the moment things got wrong, they called her? If I was Bailey though, I wouldn't have run there. It was so..stupid. And the romance..was a mess. Such a mess that I wouldn't go into further details because I'm not spoiling.

Characters

I didn't like a single character. Sam was all "we need to get on this gig" and will do anything to do that even if there's a cold war between the band members. Bailey, I don't know about her but she annoyed me and how she just ran to her little sister to help her in the spotlight and said little sister didn't apologize for ignoring her and needing her at the last hour. I hate her parents, her granddad was also a disappointment. Ace and Charlotte, Sam's band members, were complicated and I struggled to like Charlotte because she was a stuck-up jealous ex-girlfriend and kept on saying rude things to Bailey even though she knew full well that Sam was never into her.

Conclusion

A disappointing mess. This could have been so much better if Sam wasn't an overachiever who kept on persisting Bailey to join their band and for once, just asked her what she wanted. I'm sad because these characters could have a bright future in the music industry but the story just ruined them. Plus they could really work on their attitudes.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment