Mar 12, 2014

Book Review: The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

Title: The Beginning of Everything
Author: Robyn Schneider
Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: In one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met—achingly effortless and fiercely intelligent.

Together, Ezra and Cassidy discover flash mobs, buried treasure, and a poodle that might just be the reincarnation of Jay Gatsby. But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: If one’s singular tragedy has already hit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

My Thoughts

I haven't heard about this book but I saw this from the Booktube Community. The moment I read the premise, it grabbed my attention. Knowing it's YA, contemporary, and from the guy's perspective. I hardly read from the opposite sex's POV when it comes to contemporary so this was somehow fresh for me. But it staled, the moment I finished it and tried absorbing everything that happened. I ended up very unhappy and angry.

Plot

The very common love story, that is even found in fanfictions: Cool and popular guy falls in love with the weird and nerdy girl. It's also another one of those YAs where either of the love interest is "mysterious". Most of the time it's the boy, but this time, it's the girl. After Ezra got cheated on and broke his leg after an accident, I was happy and in hopes he'd find a wonderful future the moment he met Cassidy. They seem to click and they were sweet together. I just don't understand how in one night, things between them went down so fast that my brain didn't even followed up directly. It was like a flash of lightning that turned their happy world upside down and I seriously did not understand at all. The story just didn't work with me. And the premise sounded good and somehow, hopeful.

Characters

Toby, Ezra's best friend or former, was the only one that I find pretty fine. I feel bad for him though, separating from Ezra and being like the laughing stock of his circle of new-and-popular friends. Ezra, the narrator, made me like and dislike him. I don't know how to describe him but as a reader, I can't connect with him at times and some of his choices or decisions rather ended up so poorly that he hurts others and he doesn't notice it (I'm really talking about Toby). But he somehow grew on me and I'm relieved he didn't kiss and gave in to his ex-girlfriend, whom I want to slap, when she tried clawing him with her nails of seduction and flirtation. Cassidy, oh Cassidy, I'm disappointed and annoyed with you the most. She came into Ezra's life, tried befriending him, falls for him, like a darn switch she just rudely left him and when he found her, she told him their relationship was a mistake. And that leaves Ezra being confused because she didn't even explain. She disappeared and when she came back, they talked yet she still gives out another WE-CAN'T-BE-TOGETHER speech again and ended up being a total question mark and simply mean. Oh and yeah, she disappeared. Again. For good. Did I mention question mark?

Conclusion

I don't even have a conclusion. I didn't even expect myself to give this 2 stars. Just that I would like to imagine they had their happy ending or that they'll see each other again because they're really good together and they're both smart and funny when they're within their little love nest. I felt so strongly that they're not over yet. They had to have a beginning after that ending.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment