Feb 8, 2014

Book Review: Scarlet

Title: Scarlet
Series: Lunar Chronicles, #2
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication Date: February 05, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Retelling
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

My Thoughts:

I am so in love with this book and I regret that I didn’t plan on reading this right after I read Cinder. I wasn’t sure at first what to feel for this (before I read it) because it’s from another character’s POV and I’m not used to changing POVs in fantasy books. I’m used to them when I’m reading contemporary but fantasy (or any other genre aside from contemporary)? No. I wanted to remain in Cinder’s head (even with Emperor Kai) and I wasn’t ready to let go just yet. To my utter surprise, Scarlet sure had me wrapped around its pages. The POV? Different POVs which I’m thankful for because there’s enough screen time for the characters and the events circling around them. It’s not also written in a messy way because I’ve encountered books with multiply POVs, and in third person, that ends up having their readers confused with the flow.

I have loved Scarlet as much as I loved Cinder. I love how these heroines can be badass without kicking butts every single time. Sure they have kicked some but their badassery (not really a word) wasn’t determined on their physical strengths. It was more on the way they think and their determination to fight. I wish there was more about Scarlet’s grandma because she seemed to know a lot, especially on what happened to Princess Selene. Cinder and Carswell tag-team was so fun to read especially Carswell Thorne’s personality. And then we have Wolf who, from the start, already caught my interest from the start due to his shyness. In the end, he’s still managed to keep me interested. Wolf and Scarlet though, I love them so much together that right now, I’m wanting more of them!

I’m excited to start Cress but at the same time, I want to reread this and go on Scarlet’s journey again.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment