Feb 15, 2014

Book Review: Kiss the Sky

Title: Kiss the Sky
Series: Addicted Series (spin-off)
Author: Krista & Becca Ritchie
Publication Date: January 24, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Rose Calloway thought she had everything under control. At twenty-three, she’s a Princeton graduate, an Academic Bowl champion, a fashion designer and the daughter of a Fortune 500 mogul. But with a sex addict as a sister and roommate, nothing comes easy.

After accepting help from a producer, Rose agrees to have her life filmed for a reality television show. The Hollywood exec is her last chance to revive her struggling fashion line, and boundaries begin to blur as she’s forced to make nice with a man who always has his way.

Twenty-four-year-old Connor Cobalt is a guy who bulldozes weak men. He’s confident, smart-as-hell and lives with his equally ambitious girlfriend, Rose Calloway. Connor has to find a way to protect Rose without ruining the show. Or else the producer will get what Connor has always wanted—Rose’s virginity.

My Thoughts

Kiss the Sky pulled out so many emotions out of me that I don't know how and where to start. All I know is that I'm crying, really crying, for Lily Calloway and I know that this book is about Rose and Connor but there's no escape of what Lily's been going through. Also, this book had me in such a predicament of secondhand embarrassment yet at the same time, it was hysterical.

My love for Rose Calloway has reached its peak to a whole new level. I love her even more and her smart mind is one of the many beautiful assets I find so endearing. Now that I've read the book with her POV, I'm now forgetting why she's labeled as a cold person because being inside Rose's head is one of the many great encounters I had as a reader. She's the kind of girl that doesn't let men who walks on her. She fights and she's a headstrong character with a heart that cares so deeply for the people around her especially her sisters. Now this is the part where I cried that's connected to Lily.

In the first two books, Addicted to You and Addicted for Now, we've been inside Lily's head (and Lo's) and we've seen her in her worst and in the state of getting better and trying to get stronger to get past her addiction and how hard it was to witness her falling into the dark. But with another person's POV (aside from Lo's), it seemed to be harder because I feel Rose's pain when it comes to Lily and how she was treated the most differently from the family. And I'm thankful for Rose as a sister because she's the greatest. It's so perceptible that she loves Lily and how much she wants to protect her. I'd be the happiest if I have a sister like Rose.

Connor Cobalt is one sexy and smart human being that has a wonderful heart and I'm delighted that he and Rose found and have each other. I loved Connor ever since he made his first appearance. Though in Kiss the Sky, he's surprised me with some attitude that wasn't shown in the first two books. He is the reason for the secondhand embarrassment I feel so strongly that I had to take a pause from continuing because it was impractical to do so even if he was doing it in such a sexy way that made me want to fan and hide myself at the same time.

As much as I enjoyed and somehow devoured this book, I got a bit iffy about the whole 'reality tv' thing. I understand that Rose agreed to it for the sake of her company, her family and the Calloway name but I honestly didn't think it was a good idea. Their lives have been filled with such gossip and their privacy has been scrutinized by the media and other people and reality tv is probably not the right thing. There could've been another way to save their sake just not exposing their daily lives on television for the whole world to see knowing how much of a hell hole being in the in the public eye is and considering how disgusting their producer is, just NO. I was also waiting for them to have Scott beaten to a bloody pulp because he deserves it so much. I hated him and I hated seeing him win.

Another is Daisy. I love Daisy, she's one of the characters I would definitely save from the horrible pressure and unwanted stuff out there but sometimes I want to shake her senses? I get the fact that she's young and she's been dragged around by their mom in such a young age for modeling and other stuff where a girl in her age would be scribbling notes in school and mingling with friends instead of posing in front of cameras and being like a Barbie doll. I dislike the fact that she seemed to be such an easy target for men who ogles her body and she seemed to be fine with it and makes the excuse of saying that she's used to it because she's posed with lesser clothes in front of cameras. And she tags along a guy who simply wants to get in her pants and when they offered to beat the shit out of him, she defends him by saying he's her boyfriend. It's ridiculous. But I'm glad that she doesn't let them touch her because that would absolutely disgust me and I'm sure, her family and friends (the circle of friendship in these books) would definitely kill that guy.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the book like the first two but I still don't think I could love this series no matter how much the characters are wonderful unless I get the easy atmosphere between Lily and her mother. It just pains me how Samantha Calloway loves her three daughters: Poppy, Rose and Daisy so dearly yet Lily gets nothing but a cold shoulder and a tightly forced smile. I can't stand reading when one parent has that kind of attitude and is the reason for a daughter's suffering. I'm hoping to read some apology from her to Lily in Addicted After All.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment