Nov 4, 2013

Book Review: The Sky Is Everywhere

Title: The Sky Is Everywhere
Author: Jandy Nelson
Publication Date: March 09, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

My Thoughts:

When Lennie's older sister, Bailey, died she felt like things are impossible to continue and the world is also impossible with the thought of Bailey gone forever. Lennie shared a very close bond with her sister and she's gotten her feelings confused between Toby, Bailey's boyfriend, and Joe, a new guy in school and town. She's also trying to patch things up with her grandma and uncle because all the while, she felt selfish at times and forgets that she's not the only one who has lost someone special. And with their mother gone in God-knows-where, she starts to think as to why their mom left them for sixteen years.

Funny, heartbreaking and romantic. I fought between giving this 4.5 stars or 5 stars but then I settled for the 5 because the last chapter gave off a proper closure of Lennie's pain of her sister's death and everyone seemed happy. Even the epilogue which didn't really needed words, added a wonderful thought to the story. I'm in love with this book and with Joe and their (his and Lennie's) love for music and Paris. I love Paris. Their verbal exchange was something I find amusing and kind of gives you the tension (due to some events) and sometimes it hurts. I felt like this story's realistic. Every character has their flaws and worked their ways to be a better person. One of the aspects I loved about this book. The little poems give me thug in the heart every time. I felt Lennie's pain and all I wanna do is hug this character and everyone, really. But I'm so happy with how the story ended.

I tell myself to stop reading these kind of books, the painful ones, but I can't. They seem to have this hold on me. Totally recommending this if you haven't read it yet!

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment