Jul 8, 2013

Book Review: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Title: Just Listen
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publication Date: April 06, 2006
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Last year, Annabel was “the girl who has everything" — at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf’s Department Store.

This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong.

Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling. With Owen’s help, maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.

My Thoughts

This is my first Sarah Dessen book and although I didn’t enjoyed it that much, I still want to read her other books. Someone told me that The Lullaby is good so maybe I’ll read that one next.
Before I read this book, I was watching some show about models and their weight and some eating disorder stuff and I’m surprised that what I read is kind of related to what I’ve watched. It’s actually a good thing that part of this book talks about it and how it can affect someone just because they want to have that kind of body. Though there’s a ton of aspects in this book, not just the eating disorder issue.
I had a hard time understanding Annabel. Or getting to grasp her character’s personality. Something like that. She keeps quiet on things that matter (like during the Perkin’s Day or what day was that) but then there’s Owen who could tell if she’s lying or not. I’m also confused with their relationship. One moment they’re talking about music, then they’re kind of uh, having a misunderstanding then the next everything’s okay. And then they kiss and yeah. I didn’t like her friend, Sophie, too and why she still keep on being friends with her after years of being an enabler when she said to go to this party and hang out or whatever. And losing her best friend because of that. I can’t….can’t continue.
Owen and his love for music is adorable. It kind of reminds me of myself whenever I talk about books like if I ask you to read a favorite book of mine then you don’t get it and then I start to explain it to you as to why this book is amazing or great or just good. Same goes for Owen and how he wants to tell Annabel his music genre of choice and why this song or singer is good or not. But I don’t think that I’d be all calm and collected if people say they don’t like it. I mean they have their opinion but a little pang of hurt in that is something I couldn’t ignore.
The car wash scene was pretty cute. Really cute. And Annabel and her dad watching History Channel (I love History Channel).
I give this 3 stars. It was okay :)


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment