Jul 4, 2013

Book Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Onyx
Series: Lux Series, #2
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: August 14, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there’s this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that’s possible. Against all common sense, I’m falling for Daemon. Hard.

My Thoughts

Okay, as much as I love this book and series, I had to give this three stars because of my rant on Katy. I like her but in this book, I absolutely want to strangle her. Like for real.
Heroines (and even heroes) and trust issues. From the moment Daemon said that Blake couldn’t be trusted, I believed him because that usually happens to stories. And Katy still refused to believe and trust Daemon so she ended up hurting herself and having someone killed. <spoiler inserted here> And Daemon had the right to be furious. Oh gosh, I got really frustrated towards Katy because of that. Why trust someone you just met who happens to got you almost killed with the so-called “training"? I wanna smack her so bad and I feel so bad and sad for Dee.
I get the part that she doesn’t want to drag Daemon and the rest into her situation but hey, that’s also their business because she’s now “connected" to him and whatever bad things that might happen to her, it’ll only be worse for Daemon.
Then there’s the self-denial. Oh. My. God. After everything that happened, she was still stubborn to admit her feelings for him and I feel Daemon’s pain already. It’s so obvious that he likes her (heck, he loves her) but Katy keeps pushing her feelings away. And what they feel i terribly mutual. I understand that she doesn’t want them both to end up like Beth and Dawson but hey, why not take a risk? If they both believe that they’re strong enough to fight for the worse, then it might be possible right?
I so want to pull my hair out because of what happened. But here are some lovely bonus points I found in this book:
  1. Daemon being all sweet and a gentleman. 
  2. The Thanksgiving scene between Katy and Daemon. 
  3. "I’ve seen dolphins give hotter kisses than that." - BEST. I laughed so hard. 
  4. Katy/Daemon arguments. I love with when they argue/fight. So much tension in it that make you think of the hot make-out session after. Ha. 
  5. Dawson. I mean, he’s a good thing that happened, right?
I still like Katy. It’s just that in this book, she gives me utter frustration. I can still hold it for Opal. I might read the book sometime this August so that it would be less painful to wait for Origin. I heard Opal’s ending is shocking and it hurts, so I’ll wait.


My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment