Aug 21, 2016

Series Review: Lumatere Chronicles


Series Title: Lumatere Chronicles
Author: Melina Marchetta
Books: 
  • Finnikin Of the Rock
  • Froi Of the Exiles
  • Quintana Of Charyn
Publication Dates: 
  • Book #1: September 29, 2008
  • Book #2: October 3, 2011
  • Book #3: September 26, 2012
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon (book 1)

Finnikin of the Rock and his guardian, Sir Topher, have not been home to their beloved Lumatere for ten years. Not since the dark days when the royal family was murdered and the kingdom put under a terrible curse. But then Finnikin is summoned to meet Evanjalin, a young woman with an incredible claim: the heir to the throne of Lumatere, Prince Balthazar, is alive.

Evanjalin is determined to return home and she is the only one who can lead them to the heir. As they journey together, Finnikin is affected by her arrogance . . . and her hope. He begins to believe he will see his childhood friend, Prince Balthazar, again. And that their cursed people will be able to enter Lumatere and be reunited with those trapped inside. He even believes he will find his imprisoned father.

But Evanjalin is not what she seems. And the truth will test not only Finnikin's faith in her . . . but in himself.

MY THOUGHTS

I flew through the Lumatere Chronicles and it was an adventurous reading experience. This will be a short review of the series and each book. I only put the first book's description since it's how this series all started.

Finnikin Of the Rock: Finnikin and Evanjalin's bickering was one of the highlights in this book and it gave me a sense of humor in the midst of the angst and pain the characters are in... or just the story in general. Note at the description that the royal family was murdered and kingdom isn't in good condition and they're on the search for the lost heir so you can definitely tell how much the characters are hurting every time they recall the good times and how everything fell apart. But when the secrets were out, I knew this book was gonna be a favorite of mine. I love how it surprised me and that I really didn't expect anything. I had this gut feeling, but it wasn't it. And Evanjalin is one of my instant favorite characters.

Froi Of the Exiles: Book two was just as shocking as the first one and there were more events that took place and more characters are introduced. Froi grew on me in this book and I'm glad Marchetta didn't brush the thing he did in the first book under the rug. As for the other characters, Quintana was one of the characters introduced and like Evanjalin, she became one of my favorites. My heart broke for this girl and the only thing I could think of while flipping the pages was that I want to protect her and cherish her and tell her that she deserves to be loved and treated with respect. Another character was Phaedra and I can't stress enough how I admire her. The way she stands for others, be it her people or not, is something I definitely salute her of.

Quintana Of Charyn: A great book to wrap the series. The last book was no different than the first two when it comes to excitement, surprises, angst and smiles. There were so many things going on and how the characters were clashing here and there, but those what made this very entertaining to read.

Overall: Lumatere Chronicles is one of the well-plotted stories I've read and it's definitely reread-worthy. Enough to make you smile, laugh and get your heart broken. I also want to say how much I love Marchetta for writing her female characters with defining strengths and personalities.

The ring's a promise of peace and I'm greedy with hope. It's a song that we sing in a tongue that we share. And though you say it's a gift from a king to a king, I say it's a sign from a queen to a queen.

MY RATING
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment