Aug 20, 2015

Book Review: More Than Music by Elizabeth Briggs

Title: More Than Music
Series: Chasing the Dream, #1
Author: Elizabeth Briggs
Publication Date: June 17, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository
Music major Maddie Taylor just finished her junior year of college and has a summer internship lined up with the LA Philharmonic, yet every night she practices guitar and secretly dreams of a louder life. But geeky girls like her don't get to be rock stars. That is, until tattooed singer Jared Cross catches her playing guitar and invites her to join his band on The Sound, a reality TV show competition.

Once on the show, Maddie discovers there’s more to Jared than his flirty smile and bad boy reputation – and that he’s just as big a geek as she is. With each performance their attraction becomes impossible to ignore, but when the show pressures them to stay single they’re forced to keep their relationship secret.

As the competition heats up, Jared will do whatever it takes for his band to win, and Maddie must decide if following her dream is worth losing her heart.

My Thoughts

More Than Music is definitely my kind of book. So much music stuff going on and the characters/the band, despite the rock star image, are all adorable (but also hot) geeks on the inside. This came out last year but I've seen More Than Fashion (the third installment) appearing on my Twitter timeline so often that I got curious so I decided to get my hands on this. And I fell in love with it. First I fell for the music. I knew 90% of the songs mentioned and that My Chemical Romance there--instant bonus brownie points.

Maddie is definitely one of my favorite characters now. The moment she took that leap of faith by signing the contract and when she drowns herself in the music had me admiring and cheering for her. There's always a sense of happiness inside me whenever I read a character getting lost in what they love doing and being so passionate about it that they'd go the extra mile even though they knew the risks but are just so determined to reach for that dream. It makes me proud and not just for characters in the book, but also for people in real life like YES, GO FOR IT! She has her downs also, the act of running away when she thinks things are falling apart but it was really good to read her get back on her feet and continue to fight instead of caging herself in misery.

He's hot, he's got a reputation, and has lots of tats but he's secretly a geek on the inside who loves to put up quotes on the wall--oh, and he's got a smile that either warms your heart or makes you swoon. Jared is one talented musician who is pretty serious when it comes to the band. He's as passionate as Maddie when it comes to music. His confidence and the way he encouraged and helped Maddie drew me in. It was nice to read that he wasn't all around flirting even though he liked her. I was grinning ear to ear when he serenaded Maddie to ease her nervousness and that definitely was the most romantic thing I've read in the book despite the many kisses and sexy moments. Just like Maddie, he's got his bad days too but he did get back on track towards a better road.

THE SQUAD AKA THE FRIENDS WHO WERE SO WONDERFUL TO THE PROTAGONISTS: Kyle (best friend and bro), Hector, Carla, and Julie... let's add Alexis too because she's one of the nice characters in the story. I'm thankful that Maddie and Jared have these people in their lives because they are absolutely fun to read and I, myself, would love to have them as friends. Carla and Julie are the BFFs that you wouldn't trade for the world and they are just so supportive of Maddie it was so heartwarming to read. Since these friends have their own stories too, count on me to check the other books out.

I flew through this book, it was really GOOD. Love music and romance with a side of friendship that makes your heart melt at the bond they have? Then I recommend this book (I'm late for the party but hey~).

My Rating

0 comments:

Post a Comment