Apr 20, 2014

Book Review: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Title: Maybe Someday
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Date: March 18, 2014
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

At twenty-two years old, aspiring musician Sydney Blake has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her good friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter cheating on her with Tori—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by her mysterious neighbor, Ridge Lawson. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to the daily guitar playing he does out on his balcony. She can feel the harmony and vibrations in his music. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either: He seems to have finally found his muse. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one..

My Thoughts

My first Colleen Hoover book and it's so beautiful. This was one of my anticipated releases of 2014. I had Hopeless in my TBR first but it was a series so I decided to give this one first a try since it's only a stand-alone. And I just fell in love with it.

Plot

I love how music was a big part of this book and how it was emphasized by the two main characters. It was like it's the connection they use since Ridge is deaf and it's hard for him to communicate with other people, especially when writing songs with Sydney. Whenever he listens to her heartbeat though, it's sweet and emotional at the same time. The angst was so heavy as well that it made me put the book down time after time to regain myself. But it's good, really good and you can feel the pain of the characters that it's almost impossible to stop reading, despite the hurt. The ending was really sweet and I cried (not that I didn't cry at some moments in this book).

Characters

I like Sydney and all throughout I feel bad for her, but I do love her determination and her love for music. Ridge was a bit complicated to understand because he's this sweet and nice guy but he's just so in love with his girlfriend, Maggie, that the love in their relationship is getting too much. Maggie's a wonderful girl and I like the fact that she's mature to think about her and Ridge's relationship and made him open his eyes because Ridge seemed to think that he's so in love with her yet it's like she's trapped in some kind of love cage and she wants to be free. I didn't like Warren and Bridgette at first, Ridge's friends, because they seem to treat Sydney as if she's disabled and the reason for the problems  Maggie and Ridge were facing. But in the end, they did realize they were wrong and were there for Sydney when no one was there for her and that was something I like about how a friendship grew between them.

Conclusion

A heartwarming book yet at the same time, it made my heart ache. I'd reread it though. Even if with the heavy angst and the painful moments and the tears, I'd read it again. Beautiful book and I'm now looking forward to read and enjoy Colleen Hoover's other books. I just can't wholeheartedly give this book 5 stars because Ridge's love for Maggie was a bit too much for my taste. Even if he did it because he's concerned for her but at some point, I think he needs to let her breathe. But overall, I still love the book.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment