Feb 11, 2014

Book Review: Nobody But Us

Title: Nobody But Us
Author: Kristin Halbrook
Publication Date: January 29, 2013
Genre: Young/New Adult, Contemporary
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Will - Maybe I’m too late. Maybe Zoe’s dad stole all her fifteen years and taught her to be scared. I’ll undo it. Help her learn to be strong again, and brave. Not that I’m any kind of example, but we can learn together.

When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can’t run fast enough.

Zoe - Maybe it’ll take Will years to come to terms with being abandoned. Maybe it’ll take forever. I’ll stay with him no matter how long it takes to prove that people don’t always leave, don’t always give up on you.

My Thoughts

I thought this book was gonna be good but as the story progressed, it keeps on getting worse. I was hoping for something to save it from being a huge disappointment but no, nothing did. The synopsis sounded good but the whole story seemed to betray that flicker of expectation.

I didn't like the characters, I didn't like their relationship, I didn't like their plan to run away as far as they can and to think they're students and Zoe's what, 15? 16? And Will was 19? I forgot. Clearly not worth remembering for me because I just didn't feel it at all. Zoe's got a rough life living with her dad, but Will was there for her. There to protect her, rescue her and love her. I thought he'd be there to keep her safe, which he did, but somehow along the road trip, life somehow took a wrong turn and it went downhill after that.

Despite the sweet 'I love you's, kisses, hugs and whispered words of love, their relationship scares me and it's unhealthy. They're so young. Will doesn't want to pursue college because his 'priority' is to get Zoe safe and far away from her dad and he wants to work to keep them both alive. Zoe, on the other hand, I feel bad for this girl. I feel bad for what she's been through but most of the time I want to shake her awake. These two are so in love with each other. So invested in that love that they hardly seem to care about their future as long as they're together. That's not something you want to have with your partner. They're young and and irresponsible, well Zoe was a bit hesitant at times but it's just so wrong. Everything was so wrong.

The ending was tragic but I didn't feel sad. I feel relief that I'm done reading it. Characters are messed up, choices are even more messed up. This book could've been good and even better if the characters planned things thoroughly while they were on the road and thought about the consequences life would bring.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment