Jan 27, 2014

Book Review: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake

Title: Antigoddess
Series: Goddess War, #1
Author: Kendare Blake
Publication Date: September 10, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Cassandra and Aidan are just your average high-school couple. Blissfully unaware of her own power, Cassandra doesn’t even know that gods exist.

Until now.

Because the gods are dying - and Cassandra could hold the answer to their survival. But Aidan has a secret, and he will do anything to protect the girl he loves from the danger that’s coming for her. Even if it means war against his immortal family…

My Thoughts:

I was excited to start this book because from the blurb, I could feel that it’s gonna be dark and it talks about mythology, which is something I’m very interested in. I’ve been interested in mythology for so long. But somehow, I ended up feeling..a bit disappointed with this.

I was very confused at first with why the gods were dying, who they’re running from, and that feather with Athena thing which was kind of creepy. I even thought that this would only be focused on Cassandra and Aidan’s POVs and along their journey, they would just meet the gods but no, there’s also Hermes and Athena’s POVs. Both are told from third person. And if I remember, there was also a short POV of Hera, or maybe that was just part of some vision. Then the chapters were very unfair for the characters and their story. Cassandra and Aidan’s chapters would range around three to ten (less or more than) pages but most of the time, it’s cut so short that I find it annoying because they have such a short screentime and things were changing especially when Cassandra started seeing horrific stuff. While Hermes and Athena’s chapters were so long yet the longer they were, the more questions I have since their story (journey) has been dragging.

When things got interesting, I had this want to dislike Athena. And one of the reasons why I’m disappointed was because the gods weren’t acting like gods. They were dying but then it’s like a very new side to them. Especially Athena. I didn’t like the way she went around with Cassandra. It feels selfish and then at the end she just wants to leave Cassandra after everything that happened. I don’t want to get into spoilers. I’m not a spoiler-type of reviewer. And Aphrodite somehow surprised me, in a bad way.

Bottom line, I’m not happy with this book but I’m glad for the tiny bits of Cassanda and Apollo (even though I didn’t like the way things ended with them in the myth) and I still want to read the next book for some reason.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment