Dec 17, 2013

Book Review: World After by Susan Ee

Title: World After
Series: Penryn & the End of Days, #2
Author: Susan Ee
Publication Date: November 19, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

My Thoughts

Another great read! World After was packed with action and tension between angels and humans, and a certain bat-winged angel who's in the hunt to get his angel wings back.

The start was a bit slow but the dreams Penryn had were enough to keep me going because they interest me and they involved Raffe. Raffe didn't appear much later in the book which had me wondering why since I was hoping to hear from his story about his well-being ever since he got bat-like wings. And the last line blurb, was another addition to my reasons on hearing from Raffe's state. Although, the story was still pulled-off through and I'm not gonna rant about the absence of Raffe in the beginning of the book until half-way like the others because Penryn's story is also important. I love how Penryn is learning to fight, not that she was incapable of doing but in the first book she wasn't that experienced, with the sword that she now has a connection with. Paige, Penryn's little sister, made me want to wrap my arms around her and protect her. I cherish this character, aside from Penryn and Raffe, and I just can't take the picture of what they (angels) did to her away from my mind.

The only thing, and still, that bothered me a little bit was the very detailed mentions of some unusual creatures and the fight that results to bloody scenes. Like in Angelfall, some things are just gruesome which is why I don't recommend this, as much as I love this series, to the readers who are uncomfortable reading vivid details of bloody fights or just the mere mention of blood.

World After had me feeling laughing, sad and angry aside from feeling rather unpalatable due to some of its disturbing scenes. Penryn and Raffe's exchange apt of humor is one of things that had me grinning and laughing. The relationship between Penryn and Paige was enough to break my heart, especially when Paige is sad every time but seeing them together in their last scene in the book seemed to be like the light that's enough to make me cry. And I'm still very angry at what the angels did to Paige and to other kids and people. Let's just say that this book gave me mixed emotions but I loved it and it's not heavy on the romance like other YA books which is also refreshing.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment