Dec 15, 2013

Book Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Shadow and Bone
Series: Grisha Trilogy, #1
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publication Date: June 05, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

My Thoughts:

Shadow and Bone was very fun to read. The world-building, the characters and the magic caught my interest and made me want to know more about it. The beginning of the book was already in for action, sad but very good. All the more reason to keep on reading.

The world's places/cities confuse me. One, because of the names and two, because of the distance since the characters seem to travel from one place to another. Thankful that there's a map in the book. But the world of Shadow and Bone is really interesting. Although it's not the kind of world I would like to live in since there are eerie places, it's still something I really want to know more with vivid details that could live in my imagination. The characters, on the other hand, are great though not all of them. The Darkling was pretty surprising and Alina was easy to love in my case. Mal is my favorite character. Him and Alina but the Darkling is also a favorite of mine in other sense. I'd like to see more character development but it's still the first book so I'm quite hoping to see it in the next installment.

Aside from the fact that this book held a ton of magic, it's also mysterious and surprising that every chapter had me hooked and filled with curiosity and wonder. Loved it!

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment