Oct 3, 2013

Book Review: Altered

Title: Altered
Series: Altered, #1
Author: Jennifer Rush
Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them.

Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.

Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.

My Thoughts:

This is a wonderful debut for author, Jennifer Rush because I really enjoyed this. I've heard and read mixed reviews about this book and the cover wasn't all that inviting whenever I see it in the bookstores. I also didn't bother trying to look this one up online but there was this book sale and well, I had the instinct to pick it up. And I didn't expect to actually like it. You know what they say, never judge a book by its cover...although at times I usually do.

Reading this book was like watching a movie with a duration of 1 hour and 49 minutes. Let's just make that 2 hours. It was a fast-paced book like one moment there was something bad going on, the next there's another thing that's happening and they had to run away and then later one they, again, had to move and hide and fight because they had to. The characters were kind of easy to read although there was one character I honestly did not expect to do something bad. In this first installation, it was more of letting the characters find who they are. Letting them remember themselves and what happened to them before their memories were wiped out. Character development was a bit lacking but I could forgive that for now. Cas, on the other hand, was the sunshine of this book. His sarcastic nature makes me happy. He puts a big, ridiculous grin on my face whenever he opens his mouth to give a witty remark. As for the female lead here, she can definitely kick some ass. Although her emotions somehow frustrate me but it's just a minor thing and it doesn't stop me from liking this book.

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment