Sep 25, 2013

Book Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee

Title: Angelfall
Series: Penryn & the End of Days, #1
Author: Susan Ee
Publication Date: May 21, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Add to: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

My Thoughts:

Read this one back in June this year but I was unable to post my review for this here. I've read lots of posts from Tumblr about Angelfall and the fact that they actually enjoyed it made me want to read it. But it took me a while to pick up the book and finally, I managed and finished it yesterday. It took me less than 10 hours since chapter 1 had me hooked.

Penryn, the book's narrator and protagonist, lives (or hides and tries to survive) with her mother and her disabled little sister, Paige, who is supported by a wheelchair. While they were out during the night, Penryn witnessed the angel Raffe being attacked by other angels and had his wings cut off. But before she could run away from the scene, one of the angels that attacked Raffe took away Paige. A frantic Penryn tries to chase the angel that had Paige but failed and their mother was out of sight. Devastated, Penryn was left with Paige's wheelchair, her mother's cart and the injured angel. She brought the angel to some place where she could tend his wounds even though she hardly cares for him and she tried to ask him as to where and why Paige was taken. Thus start Penryn and Raffe's journey (or quest).

This book had me crept out, thrilled, bothered, got me interested, had me fangirling and squealing and had my heart broken. Some scenes with blood had me disturbed. But not really the blood, just the thought of cannibals who caused it. Paige, my heart was not okay after what happened to her. Her relationship with Penryn is precious and just makes me emotional. As for their mom, sometimes she creeps me out then the next she's okay.

Raffe, I got two feelings for you: sad and happy. It's either 'awww :)' or 'awww :('Penryn, you're now one of my favorite heroines. Kickass and smart and brave. You're not perfect but you still made me like you.

I recommend this book if you're fond of urban fantasy with angels flying around though keep in mind that there are some  (quite) disturbing scenes. If you're not fond of blood, then never mind. The last book that I enjoyed with angels in it was Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone and now this. Now I'm anticipating for the next book and I hope to read more about the war between humans and angels in it because it seemed like in this book, it wasn't explained further. Still, I really enjoyed this :)

My Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment